Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Day 4 - Time is ticking along quickly

We survived day 4 - The children have had a normal school day today, including participating in Maths, Art and Aussue sport activities.  The temperatures became warmer as the day went on and for some, as temperatures hit 28 degrees, hats were wet and sunscreen was applied. After lunch the students and teachers were invited to an assembly for grades 4, 5 and 6. The Grade 6 children led the assembly which celebrated the Meadowbank students time at their school. Serpell school gave each of the children a certificate praising how well they have settled in, engaged with their Aussie classmates and involved themselves throughout the week. The students were thanked by Ms Culton, the principal and Mrs. Jones for their excellent contribution to the school programmes. They then had an opportunity to share the song "Utaina" to the assembly audience. Serpell then performed Quesera, the beautiful song that they sang at the Powhiri welcome at Meadowbank last week.

After assembly the children were very excited to play some Australian games which included AFL, Trophies, and cone soccer. It was interesting for the kids to see how AFL differed to rugby.

Oscar surprised the teachers with a beautiful bunch of flowers that he had bought at the markets. A very thoughtful gesture to thank us! 

A few updates on what the kids have been doing, and where they are headed to this evening; 

Vanessa: We went shopping at K Mart and it was really different to the NZ shopping experience. I bought some clothes, fingers crossed they fit into my suitcase. I've really enjoyed the South Melbourne Markets, there was such a range of stalls and things to look at and eat.

Claudia: We went to the aquarium, and then had dinner out at the river. I got to go to my buddies choir and enjoyed listening to Beauty and the Beast songs that they are practicing. Some of the songs are pitched very high and were pretty difficult to sing.

Corban: I was given a certificate for being incredibly enthusiastic in class time and having the courage to speak up. Yesterday we had a play date with a friend of Andrew's and then I joined him at karate for a lesson.

Jess: I enjoyed a little soak in the spa pool with Tilly. Tonight we are off to Bounce.

Ella: We went out for dinner and ate Italian. We had time to play in the park before dinner which was fab, they had a great slide. Tonight we're headed to Captain Cooks Cottage and then for some shopping. It is the same place that my grandparents met.

Braden: Nic and I headed to the water park with our buddies, it was really fun. They have two water slides, a water playground and a large pool. We headed out to a burger place for dinner afterwards. Tonight we're  headed to Latitude, a place that has rock climbing walls and trampolines.

Misha: The thing I enjoyed the most was last night we headed out to Sophia Pizza, where I had some spaghetti and garlic bread. For dessert we had a large bowl of ice cream for sharing. This morning I saw a huge spider jump out from the basement as big as an Australian 50 cent piece.

Macy: I went to a park and we saw four kangaroos boxing, one fell backwards but hopped straight back up. Tonight were headed to bounce.

Nic: I enjoyed the water park with Braden, Aiden and Chip. It was extremely fun and we played tag around the pool. There was also a slide where you had to sit on a float with four others, you travel on a traversing slide, at points it even turned you upside down.

Oscar: I enjoyed seeing a couple of kangaroos bouncing around in a paddock. Each day I had an ice block ( icy poles) which has been great as the weather is getting warm. I'm looking forward to heading out to the MCG and the sports museum tomorrow.

Augie: We went to Waterpark, the flume on the largest slide was very wide so we almost turned over. We also went to the biggest Ferris Wheel, the Melbourne Star, it was wonderful because you could see all of Melbourne.

Emma: On Tuesday we headed out to Waterparc, a water park that has lots of slides, and a water playground. It was great to splash around with my new friend.









No comments:

Post a Comment